Thursday, September 24, 2009

More Family Reunion...

Here are the new blocks that I've added to my "Family Reunion" quilt for this month's class. I pieced a few blocks to go in the quilt because.....well.....what's a family reunion without grandma's quilts?
I pieced the blocks below hoping they would look like a scrap quilt that a grandma would have made.....and to compliment the poem beside it.

My "embroidery stunt double" Kassidy stitched these two blocks for me while I appliqued. I'm so glad to have her help....teaching her to applique is in the very near future!


Below are the family sir & maiden names on both mine and Mr. Honey's side back about 3 generations....our childrens ancestors. Of course everyone doing the quilt will stitch thier own family names.


I wanted this block to look like an old quilt that had been pieced out of leftover clothing.....maybe from Aunt Hazel's red dress and Uncle Earl's graysuit.....




Or some yellow gingham leftover from a "chicken-scratch" apron.....



Here's a new shot of the quilt so far.....we will complete it in February and then the pattern will also be available for anyone who did not join the club.
I like the way it's turning out onto fabric looking just like it did in my head!
For some reason, I failed to get a close up of the "Come give us a Hug & Kiss" block on the top photo......my brothers & sisters and I would always get "the speech" on the way to the reunion about being polite and letting our great aunts & uncles which we maybe hadn't seen for a while give us a hug & kiss.
This was especially hard for my little brothers who walked around with thier hands covering thier cheeks for the first little while of every reunion! (that's why we got he speech)
More on this quilt next month.....

post signature

12 comments:

•stephanie• said...

the pieced blocks are just as perfect as the applique and embroidery.

and, as always, the attention to detail is simply amazing.

the "hug and kiss" speech is too funny {and sounds familiar!}

CJ said...

LOVE IT! Actually I LOVE all of your 'story' quilts. I don't know if I have the patience or know how to make one though. I sure do enjoy looking at them.

dream quilt create said...

You have outdone yourself again Lori. I was disappointed that we don't have any relatives in common.(ha ha!) Then I remembered that we have friends in common so I'm happy! Your blog posts are always such a highlight for me and I am so happy when you post something. Kassidy's embroidery skills are perfect! It will be exciting to see how she progresses (in all aspects) as she matures.

Kim Walus said...

These blocks add another touch of nostalgia to this quilt and I love the patchwork blocks. Very nice!!! What a wonderful quilt to hand down to your children and grandchildren.

karenshopes said...

ok you've tickled my mojo!
I love the idea of this family quilt especially with the stitcheries.I knew I could rely on you all.....Karen

Sherri said...

This is my favorite quilt...can't wait until February to get the pattern! And your daughter does such lovely work! And...I must be related to either you or your husband! I have Beckstead's in my family tree!!! And I believe they settled in the South Jordan area!!!

Nielson said...

Love the last blocks you've done and all the embroidery! It looks wonderful!

Carrie P. said...

I love it so far. The saying is so sweet. You have such a great imagination.

Funoldhag said...

Wonderful quilt! Love the fact that you have help from Kassidy. Times for the two of you to remember always!! Have a great weekend. Carol

Judy said...

Every month I wait for the mailman to bring my package from Quilts Etc. It's fun to get a preview -- it sure makes me watch the mailbox. My 3 daughters are already "fighting" over this quilt.
We have a dear neighbor with the last name Ciccone -- wondering if that's on your side or Mr. Honey's.

Jodi Nelson said...

Love everything about this quilt. And I love those "scrappy" blocks! Those are adorable.

Sherry said...

Lori, I just can't tell you how much I love this quilt. So nice to have Kassidy help with it, makes it even more special. I love following this one for sure, it's just wonderful!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails