Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fun with Triangles...


What do these 2 quilts have in common?...Can you see the same shape in both if them?
I bet you can guess from my post title that I used a 60 degree triangle ruler to make both....the shape they have in common of course is a 60 degree triangle...they just look different because of they way these triangles are put together.


This first quilt I'll tell you about was made with this ruler by Creative Grids. It's one of the easiest quilts I have ever made because it's basically just a 1 patch block. I simply grabbed a bunch of fabric from my stash and cut each piece the exact same size of the ruler...then I stitched them together 13 across for a row. Then I made 8 rows....easy peasy.


This is what the edge looks like ....wavy and cute....I still need to bind it though.
Don't rush me...I just got it back from my quilter 4 weeks ago!...lol




Hanging over the edge of my cutting table....

Can you see the quilting?


My friend Helen Brutch quilted it for me....

Isn't she amazing?

I love it. It's a nice size to fit over the back of my red sofa.

This is the fabric on the back of the quilt.....big suprise...it's a polka dot! Yes, I heart polka dots.

Okay...on to the other quilt. I used this ruler to make it.It's still a 60 degree triangle ruler...just a smaller size.


I was inspired by this pattern by Sandy Klopp but I changed it up a little for a couple of reasons...
First off...I couldn't find the ruler that she used in my local quilt shop and I was ready to make it and didn't want to wait for one to be ordered in... I'm just impatient like that!


So I went home and looked through my rulers and found out I had one already by Marti Mitchell that would work just as well.
Another thing I did differently than Sandy's pattern is I only stitched 2 strips of fabric together before cutting into a triangle instead of 3 like she did. I wanted to use my stash of 2 1/2 inch strips so I sewed 2 together and cut them into 60 degree triangles and then joined 6 of the units together to form a hexie shape for each block.

I still need to bind this one too....I'm just a little behind. I made this quilt 2 years ago!

I used the Dick and Jane fabric on the back.

Helen quilted this one too.


She did a fabulous job .....as usual.


So for all of you girls out there who would like to switch it up a bit...grab some fabric from your stash and get yourself a triangle ruler....and party on!
Hope ya'll are havin' a great summer:)


post signature

23 comments:

Jandi said...

I just bought one of those rulers the other day....okay, 2 months ago. You've inspired me to get crackin' with it!

Carol said...

I love them both...I've always wanted to do one like the second one...you've inspired me...I like it with just the 2 fabrics!

Jan said...

The specialty rulers really are wonderful, aren't they? I have only used one, recently, but was so surprised at how quickly and neatly I was able to put together a previously more time consuming pattern.
I'll be looking for this size ruler now. Your quilts are fabulous!

Nedra said...

I have had the same pattern by Sandy Klopp and it sits on the shelf, so you are ahead of me whether the binding is done or not.
I know you like to make two quilts out of one cutting.
Helen has done a beautiful job with the quilting.

bettyp said...

Hey,I think I have one of those rulers!!! I am going to go take alook in a minute!!
I love the way you used up your scraps for this and I am always looking for some fun ways to use up mine !! Thanks for the hints!!! Your quits came out beautiful!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, I love the quilting on that little hexagon. And the backing too! You're so funny -- you make it sound so easy. Just go get your fabrics and whip out a quilt! I'm too slow!!! LOVE your quilts!

Juliejaz said...

Those are beautiful quilts! The quilting is lovely.

I need a ruler like the first one you have pictured. *whine* So far, I don't have a triangle ruler. I have triangle envy now:0

Denise in PA said...

Ooooh, fun! I just bought one of those 60 degree rulers a couple of months ago - I forget exactly why right now. But, doesn't matter, because I can make the triangle quilt!! They are both so cute and the quilting is fabulous!

Jana said...

Just took a class to learn to use my ruler that has sat for awhile on my shelf. Also have that American Jane pattern....need to get it out now and start working on it. You inspired me after seeing your cute quilt!

PamKittyMorning said...

I love those. I have Sandy's mini version of that quilt.. it uses a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 in strip... just haven't gotten around to making it.. now I'm all motivated again.

Nanette Merrill said...

I really really love my 60 degree ruler. Shelbie bought it for me and I love it. I have a LOT of rulers/templates but I use them all and I consider them invaluable. I love the quilts. I've made the Sandy Klop quilt. And I've made the triangle quilt (a couple of them) but with smaller triangles. They are really fun. I love yours, though. Of course.

syocom said...

Both of the quilts are really fun, and you have now sparked my interest with a new ruler. I may just have to go get one for myself. :)

aussiequilter said...

hi Lori-just adore these quilts and think the ruler is fantastic so will have to try to find them.I always love visiting your blog and always get inspired so much so thankyou! cheers Teri

Pots and Pins said...

I love the quilt! I made one like it out of Valentine fabrics. I really like the idea of using just two fabrics and using up my strips! You mentioned Helen Brutsch - years ago my sister (live in Layton) told me she knew of someone who machine quilted for a great price...and it was Helen! I've sent her a couple of quilts and so have my friends but then one thing leads to another and I forgot about her and her amazing talent...thanks for jogging my memory - I think it's time I gave her a call again, unless you're keeping her swamped! xo, Nan

Patty said...

You have some lovely quilts here. I have enjoyed visiting.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i heart 60 degree quilts!!! beautiful quilts!

Funoldhag said...

You have such a way with combining your fabrics - so lovely to look at. I, too, would like to do one like the hexagon piece. Love your blog, Lori. Carol

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Two good looking quilts Lori! I made Sandy's pattern recently and it's one of my favorites.

quiltmom anna said...

Lori,
I love this hexagon quilt- I do have a 60 degree triangle ruler-
I made a paperweight quilt that is sort of the same design except it has friendship star like shape between them. You can find the pattern by checking out Aardvark patterns out of Kansas if you are wanting to see the pattern Paperweight.
I really do love how the hexagons fit together. Your LAQuilter did a gorgeous job on the quilting.
Warmest regards,
Anna

dream quilt create said...

I love the quilts Lori, you make everything sound so easy and everything look so beautiful!

Micki said...

I love your quilts! Your machine quilting is gorgeous!
Micki

Elizabeth said...

Very clever with the triangles. I'll remember that trick with the 2 1/2" strips. Helen did a beautiful quilting job on both!
xo –Elizabeth

Sherri said...

Both quilts are cute as can be...that's what they have in common! Pure eye candy! And your quilter did a fantastic job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails